Tuesday, 2 July 2013

June Collective Challenge

The story by Oscar Wilde which I was entrusted to illustrate for June's collective challenge was ‘The Young Kin.’ It is a tale of a teenage king who is dazzled by his beautiful palace and the shiny things in it but through three dreams during the night before his coronation, he chooses to not use his new crown, sceptre, and golden robe because of the deaths and sorrow the items have caused. Instead he goes to his coronation in his goat’s shepherds garb (before he was known to be the heir to the throne, this was his profession). The people are disappointed with him and wish to kill him but in front of the alter he is crowned King by God (given even a robe made of the golden rays of sunshine).
I especially enjoyed drawing the background for this thing. My reference:

I've posted only the final version on the collective, which you should all visit to see more wonderful work from Rachel Rawlings and Merle Hunt. I always enjoy posting the process behind drawings and especially love seeing it from other artists. So here are some of the development behind the piece:


 Thumbnails and stuff
 A first attempt using coloured pencils

Unfinished stage with the colour where I got stuck 4 days before the deadline and how it still is today. I'm still not sure how to proceed from here and if it will ever really be finished. I'll give it a try but for all we know, I might very simply end up ruining it completely (which is why I like to scan my drawings at linework only stage).

No comments:

Post a Comment